Welcome to Kam Woods' site.
I am a Research Scientist at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. My research interests include long-term digital preservation, private and sensitive data analysis and redaction, and the application of digital forensics tools and techniques to archival and preservation data management. (Read full bio)
- Link to my CV. (Last updated: January 5, 2016)
- Follow me and send me a direct message on Twitter.
- Visit my contact page.
A comprehensive list of past presentations (including media and links) can be found on my Presentations page. Recent events and presentations are shown below.
- Digital Curation and Digital Forensics at UNC SILS – Recent Activities. Open Preservation Foundation Annual Meeting 2016. The Hague, Netherlands. June 1, 2016. (Slides)
- BCA-Webtools: Accessing and Visualizing Disk Images in a Web Browser. CurateGear 2016. Chapel Hill, North Carolina. January 14, 2016. (Slides).
- Functional Access to Forensic Disk Images in a Web Service. Kam Woods. iPRES 2015. Chapel Hill, North Carolina. November 3, 2015. (Slides)
- Bitstream Confidential - Considerations and Approaches to Curating Potentially Sensitive Personal Data in Collections. Kam Woods (with Christopher A. Lee). Personal Digital Archiving 2015. Los Angeles, CA. April 24, 2015. (Slides)
- BitCurator Access lightning talk. Kam Woods. CurateGEAR Symposium. Chapel Hill, NC. January 7, 2015. (Slides)
Visit my complete Publications page. A selection of recent conference, journal, and other publications can be found below.
The documents distributed here are self-archived as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a noncommercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the publishers and/or the authors, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. Versions provided here may be draft preprints of published papers; the published versions should be considered definitive. See also my ResearchGate profile, Google Scholar profile, DBLP, CiteSeer, and ACM author listing.
- Conference and Journal Papers
- Kam Woods, Christopher Lee, Oleg Stobbe, Thomas Liebetraut and Klaus Rechert. 2015. Functional Access to Forensic Disk Images in a Web Service. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Digital Curation (191-195). Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina, School of Information and Library Science.
- Kam Woods and Christopher A. Lee. 2015. Redacting Private and Sensitive Information in Born-Digital Collections. In Proceedings of the Archiving 2015. Society for Imaging Science and Technology.
- Woods, Kam, Christopher Lee, and Sunitha Misra. Automated Analysis and Visualization of Disk Images and File Systems for Preservation. In Proceedings of Archiving 2013 (Springfield, VA: Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2013), 239-244.
- Lee, Christopher A. and Kam Woods. 2012. Automated Redaction of Private and Personal Data in Collections: Toward Responsible Stewardship of Digital Heritage. The Memory of the World in the Digital age: Digitization and Preservation, 2012. Vancouver, BC
- Kam Woods and Christopher A. Lee. 2012. Acquisition and Processing of Disk Images to Further Archival Goals, In Proceedings of Archiving 2012. Springfield, VA: Society for Imaging Science and Technology. 147-152.
- Woods, Kam, Christopher A. Lee and Simson Garfinkel Extending digital repository architectures to support disk image preservation and access, Proceedings of the 11th Annual International ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital libraries, 2011.
- Woods, K., Lee, Christopher, Garfinkel, S., Dittrich, D., Russell, A., Kearton, K. (2011) Creating Realistic Corpora for Forensic and Security Education, ADFSL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security, and Law (ADFSL 2011), Richmond, VA, May 25-27, 2011.
- White Papers and Technical Publications
- Lee, Christopher A., Porter Olsen, Alexandra Chassanoff, Kam Woods, Matthew Kirschenbaum, and Sunitha Misra. From Code to Community: Building and Sustaining BitCurator through Community Engagement. September 30, 2014.
- Misra, Sunitha, Christopher A. Lee, and Kam Woods. A Web Service for File-Level Access to Disk Images. Code4Lib Journal 25 (2014).
- Lee, Christopher A., Kam Woods, Matthew Kirschenbaum, and Alexandra Chassanoff From Bitstreams to Heritage: Putting Digital Forensics into Practice in Collecting Institutions. 2013.
- Lee, Christopher A. and Kam Woods Digital Acquisition Learning Laboratory: A White Paper November 2011.
At University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill:
Past Research and Projects
A complete list of research and projects is on my Research page.
At University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill:
Interviews, Live Events, and 'Cast Presentations
Courses taught as instructor and/or co-instructor at UNC SILS.
You can also see a complete list of courses I have taught.