Welcome to Kam Woods' site.
My research interests include long-term digital preservation, applications of machine learning and digital forensics tools and techniques to archival and preservation data management, and private and sensitive data identification and redaction. Read my full bio here.
- Find my software projects and contributions on GitHub.
- Find me and/or send me a direct message on Twitter.
- Contact me.
A complete list of research and projects is on my Research page. Recent work linked below.
- CARASCAP: Computer-Assisted Redaction and Anonymization of Scholarly Communications and Products. (Technical Lead, 2021-2022) NSF EAGER 2135446 CARASCAP GitHub repositories
- RATOM: Review, Appraisal, and Triage of Mail. (Technical Lead, 2019-2020) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant 1802-05537 RATOM GitHub repositories
- BitCurator NLP: Natural language processing tools for born-digital materials in archives. (Co-PI, 2016-2018) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant Ref 31600663
- BitCurator Access: Improving access to complex born-digital materials in archives. (Co-PI, 2014-2016) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant Ref 31400605
- BitCurator: Tools for Digital Forensics Methods and Workflows (Phase 2). More info on bitcurator.github.io and at the main BitCurator site. (2013-2014) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant Ref 11300699
- BitCurator: Tools for Digital Forensics Methods and Workflows (Phase 1). More info on bitcurator.github.io and at the main BitCurator site. (2011-2013) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant Ref 31100658
Visit my complete Presentations page. A selection of recent events and presentations are shown below.
- CARASCAP Project Overview. Public Access Colloquium. Nov 30, 2021. Slides
- The Other BCC: Appraising and Processing Email. BitCurator User Forum 2020 Workshop. October 16, 2020 Slides
- General Review of Project Updates. RATOM August Update. August 6, 2020. Slides
- Demo and Software Development Updates. RATOM Advisory Board Meeting Update. July 23, 2020. Slides
- New Tools and Techniques to Analyze and Manage Email in Archives. RATOM OPFCON Lightning Talk. June 9, 2020. Slides
- RATOM (Review, Appraisal, and Triage of Mail) Project Overview. CNI 2020 Virtual Meeting presentation. April 2, 2020. Slides YouTube
- Review, Appraisal, and Triage of Mail Project. COPPUL (Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries) Webinar. March 31, 2020. Slides
- Tackling Archival Email with Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. NDSA Digital Preservation, 2019. Slides
- Review, Appraisal, and Triage of Mail (RATOM). November 13, 2019. Overview and recording link
- NLP and Machine Learning for Born-Digital Materials Part 2 (Collections Containing Email). Learn@DLF 2019. October 23, 2019. Slides
Interviews, Live Events, and Webcasts
- Interview for Nature article "Digital forensics: from the crime lab to the library" Nature link
- Interview for The Signal (Library of Congress Digital Preservation Blog) The Signal link
- BitCurator Access talk at CurateGEAR 2015 YouTube link
- BitCurator Promo for UNC School of Information and Library Science YouTube link
- Personal Digital Archiving 2011: Forensics, Privacy, and Archiving Presentation Link
Visit my complete Publications page. A selection of recent conference, journal, and other publications can be found below.
The documents distributed here are self-archived as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a noncommercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the publishers and/or the authors, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. Versions provided here may be draft preprints of published papers; the published versions should be considered definitive. See also my ResearchGate profile, Google Scholar profile, DBLP, CiteSeer, and ACM author listing.
- Conference and Journal Papers
- Kam Woods, Christopher Lee, Oleg Stobbe, Thomas Liebetraut and Klaus Rechert. 2015. Functional Access to Forensic Disk Images in a Web Service. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Digital Curation (191-195). Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina, School of Information and Library Science.
- Kam Woods and Christopher A. Lee. 2015. Redacting Private and Sensitive Information in Born-Digital Collections. In Proceedings of the Archiving 2015. Society for Imaging Science and Technology.
- Woods, Kam, Christopher Lee, and Sunitha Misra. Automated Analysis and Visualization of Disk Images and File Systems for Preservation. In Proceedings of Archiving 2013 (Springfield, VA: Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2013), 239-244.
- Lee, Christopher A. and Kam Woods. 2012. Automated Redaction of Private and Personal Data in Collections: Toward Responsible Stewardship of Digital Heritage. The Memory of the World in the Digital age: Digitization and Preservation, 2012. Vancouver, BC
- Kam Woods and Christopher A. Lee. 2012. Acquisition and Processing of Disk Images to Further Archival Goals, In Proceedings of Archiving 2012. Springfield, VA: Society for Imaging Science and Technology. 147-152.
- Woods, Kam, Christopher A. Lee and Simson Garfinkel Extending digital repository architectures to support disk image preservation and access, Proceedings of the 11th Annual International ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital libraries, 2011.
- Woods, K., Lee, Christopher, Garfinkel, S., Dittrich, D., Russell, A., Kearton, K. (2011) Creating Realistic Corpora for Forensic and Security Education, ADFSL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security, and Law (ADFSL 2011), Richmond, VA, May 25-27, 2011.
- White Papers and Technical Publications
- Lee, Christopher A., Camille Tyndall Watson, Jamie Patrick-Burns, Sangeeta Desai, Eliscia Kinder, Antoine De Torcy, and Kam Woods. Email Curation in Context: A Report of the Review, Appraisal, and Triage of Mail (RATOM) Project. March 30, 2022.
- Lee, Christopher A., Porter Olsen, Alexandra Chassanoff, Kam Woods, Matthew Kirschenbaum, and Sunitha Misra. From Code to Community: Building and Sustaining BitCurator through Community Engagement. September 30, 2014.
- Misra, Sunitha, Christopher A. Lee, and Kam Woods. A Web Service for File-Level Access to Disk Images. Code4Lib Journal 25 (2014).
- Lee, Christopher A., Kam Woods, Matthew Kirschenbaum, and Alexandra Chassanoff From Bitstreams to Heritage: Putting Digital Forensics into Practice in Collecting Institutions. 2013.
- Lee, Christopher A. and Kam Woods Digital Acquisition Learning Laboratory: A White Paper November 2011.
Visit the courses pages for a list of courses I've taught (and/or co-taught) at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and for professional development.
- LinkedIn Profile
- kamwoods on GitHub
- @kamwoods on Twitter
- ResearchGate Profile
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile